Friday, May 31, 2013

You Say Vaaahhz, I Say Vase


Pretty much anything that will not tip over, I like to use as a vase.  Single stems are the perfect embellishment to a smaller necked bottle.  I place them in corners, on shelf ends, side tables, stacks of books, bookends and anywhere that the eye may fall when glancing about a room.  I do not adhere to flowers being a centerpiece.  Although they have great influence over the atmosphere in a room front and center, they can also create delicate ambience throughout a space when tucked in less obvious places.  Brightening up an antique trunk or sitting pretty on a footstool, an unassuming container is a breath of freshly flowered air to its inhabiting stems.

  These are some of my favorites that I stash on such stools, trunks, corners, sills, ledges, books, benches and anywhere I can add a dash of lovely!





I have also spray painted mason jars for displaying.  I prefer the old-fashioned versions with the metal tension seals.  By the way, I am not displaying flower corpses-I am drying them.  I think dried arrangements are as elegant as fresh displays.  The rose in photos below is almost done and stayed quite vivid.



My teapots and pitchers typically grace more centrally located spots since they are larger and need a steadier stand.



I found this cobalt blue bottle at the Salvation Army.  The misted bottle was found in my older house's back yard, and the other little one to the left was a Goodwill grab.







Even though I think my antique book collections are beautiful in their own tattered way, I love to dress them up with a dollop of fresh prettiness.


 Here are some ideas for treasure spots around the house where flowers or even empty vases or bottles love to humbly abide:






Even if you are the only one who will see or them, you are worth the perk-me-up of a stolen moment inhaling their delicate aroma and gazing at their forget-the-world beauty as you continue along your everyday path.














I am a big blender of old and new, and here is an example of it above.
My grandmother's pitcher accompanying a newer tray on an antique trunk in front of a newer loveseat.  To me, style is not about making everything match or even closely coordinate.  I think it is using pieces together that will add a strikingly opposing type of complementary effect. The elements will play off of each other so as to showcase the spectacular qualities of the individual pieces within the collective whole.   





No comments:

Post a Comment