Monday, July 1, 2013

Grilled Peaches, Zuchini and Eggplant with Basil Ribbons






It WAS grillin' time.  Emphasis on past tense very intentional.  It was brief.  In between rain storms and the high humidity.  So glad I got it in before getting back to rain today.

My grill was looking very lonely and forlorn having been ignored since Memorial day.  The weather just has not permitted its use.  Unless you are an avid griller rain or shine, 120 degrees melting at it or 15 degrees frozen in front of it, either of which I am not.  But when its about 80ish and dry, I show it some love.

Looking at these gorgeous peaches we picked up, I got an urge to try them with some of my basil that I gaze upon just waiting to eat it on something-anything.  It is a flourishing green beauty in my window.  I figured why not give it a shot and see.  If it comes out gross, I only wasted one peach (they were huge).  Plus, I wanted to throw some vegetables on there, too, so perfect reason to test my peach and basil craving.

Let me tell you, it was an amazing little bundle of flavors.  The ribbons of fresh basil snuggled up against the warm juicy grilled peaches, and the aroma flirted salaciously with me.  Then the taste just pried my little food heart wide open and cuddled in with all my other favorites residing there.  I fell in love.  I couldn't help myself.

I do not really know how to describe the mix, but they just go together like chicken and barbecue, lemon and poppy, vanilla and fudge, cocoa and marshmallows, rosemary and garlic, osso and buco (just kidding), but, you get the match made in heaven concept.

I am of the opinion that fresh basil is the whipped cream of savory toppings.


Slice eggplant and zuchini into wedges and season with your favorites plus a little sea salt.




Slice a peach and several basil leaves into strips ( I call them ribbons because they twist and curl so prettily).






Place on grill and only turn when the grill has done its duty and left its delicious black tracks.  The vegetables will take a little longer than the peaches so put them on a side of the rack that is hotter.




Place all on a platter and spread basil across entire dish.




 Don't be shy with the basil.  Let it all meld together.  




Smell that?!





No comments:

Post a Comment